My Bucket List
So eternal rest grant unto Sheila, O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon her, may her soul and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
We pray today for Sheila, the ex wife of a friend who died suddenly. We’ve all been stunned by the news. And have tried to be there for my friend who had to help make arrangements, a tough deal indeed.
Death calls us all to take stock. My friend wrote up a Bucket List and inspired a bunch of us to do the same. Things we’d all like to do before we die. Here’s mine:
– Write books about marriage, spiritual direction, my father and my dog
– Do a year of service when I finally retire with JVC.
– Engage more people with Ignatian Spirituality
– Start some model programs in Campus Ministry that we can publish and allow others to share them
– Write a major theological work
– Contribute to lasting change in the church for a more collaborative dynamic in the church
– Become a Saint (Thanks Thomas Merton!)
– Walk the Camino in Spain
– Take my Father back to Ireland for a trip
– See the Holy Land and the Vatican
– Be a better husband (Marion says I can check that one off already, but I’m hard on myself.)
– Forgive a few people I hold grudges against
– Run a 5K in my 40s and 50s
– Maintain my weight at under 200 lbs
– Join an Improv Group
– Act on stage in front of a large audience
– Have a conversation with a President and a Pope
– Call one inning of a Major League Baseball Game and/or One Quarter of an NFL Game on Radio or TV.
Places to See/Things to Do (somewhat superficial things that I’d like to do)
– Visit all 50 states (I’m at 33)
– See a game at all the Major League Baseball Stadiums (I have been to 18 out of the present 30 and 4 that have closed)
– Go to the Kentucky Derby and the Indy 500 (my radio colleagues consistently tell me these are the two greatest events in sports)
– Countries to visit: England, Scotland, Wales, Norway, Sweeden, China, Japan, India, Greece.
– Take an Alaskan Cruise
– Rescue and raise a dog from a pup (Haze was 1.5 when I got him).
I’m sure there’s more. I’ve ticked a bunch off from earlier lists, like:
Get married, own a dog, lead retreats for a living, go to the World Series (been to 3 games), etc.
What’s on your list?